JG's Teacher Blog

JG's Teacher Blog
Our Wedding in Cancun

Friday, June 22, 2007

Is Technology Just for Boys?

This article is about the different perspectives girls and boys have regarding technology. The article suggests that boys are more interested in how technology works and girls are interested in how it can be used. Sherry Turkle feels that elementary educators must include technology and especially increase technology "fluency" in girls. Software that allows students to be active in building and designing may aid in this. I think it is very important for girls to have the same opportunities as boys. It is my job as a teacher to encourage and provide learning opportunities in technology for both boys and girls.

1 comment:

Parasailer said...

Right on, Julie! I totally agree. Girls can do anything boys can do, sometimes better! I understand what you're saying about the article, though. Boys are more interested in the "how" of the way things work, while girls are nore interested in what can be done with the tools.

I have two teenagers, 15 months apart (I know!!) My son is definitely more interested in testing the boundaries and knowing how much he can do. My daughter just like to create. This has won her many accolades in her computer classes in high school. In fact, she was invited to design the advertising layout for the yearbook next year!